Taken at a SF Giants spring training game – this is one of my all-time favourites.
Firstly because, well . . . awwww.
Second because I have never been so well rewarded for having my camera ‘at the ready’.
As I sat watching the game – which was a riot of colour – a bright sunny day, red uniforms, green grass, the whole bit – I set my camera so that if something were to strike my eye I would be ready to shoot.
As I turn around I spot this little guy on his mom’s shoulders – he was watching me taking photos – I raised my camera and snapped a shot. Checked. Blurry. I realized my lens was set for distance shots not close-ups – flipped the little switch in 1 second, got him to raise his glove next to his face and then snapped another shot – this shot.
So lesson #1 – be ready. Lesson #2 – know you’re equipment. 90% of candid photography combines these two things. The other 10% – looking up and having the joy of seeing a little fellow with eyes like this staring at you! (Yes I did get his mom’s permission to publish this photo).
You might not be out there trying to get photos of anyone other than your own family and friends – but if that’s your plan – then check the light, check the surroundings and get your camera ready before events start to unfold. If your subjects have to wait while you adjust your settings – the candid moment will be lost. If you’re settings aren’t correct to start with – the photo might be lost. So channel your inner Boy Scout/Girl Guide and BE PREPARED.